Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Sound of Heroin

I decided to create a list of my favourite songs about Heroin.

For a list of many songs about Heroin go here:
http://www.thatspoppycock.com/library/media/opiates-and-music/
I've listened to all of the songs on that website (the whole site is great) and I have chosen my favourites.  I have also included some songs that weren't on there, but should be.

So here it is - in alphabetical order (when it is a name, I go by last names and I don't include 'the'):

Alice in Chains - "God Smack" *"Junkhead"
Atmosphere - "God's Bathroom Floor"
Bad Religion - *"Billy"
The Beatles - *"Happiness Is a Warm Gun"
The Beta Band - *"Squares"
Blur - "Beetlebum"
David Bowie - "China Girl" *"Space Oddity"
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - *"Sue"
James Brown - *"King Heroin"
Cracker - "Low"
The Dandy Warhols - "Not If You Were the Last Junkie on Earth"
The Dead Boys - "Ain't It Fun"
Depeche Mode - *"Personal Jesus"
The Doors - "Crystal Ship" (Probably not about Heroin, but it reminds me of it anyway)
Eagle Eye Cherry - "Shooting Up in Vain"
Eagles - *"Hotel California" (I know this song is debatable, but it's about Heroin to me.)
The Flaming Lips - "The Abandoned Hospital Ship"
Gil Scott-Heron - *"Home Is Where the Hatred Is"
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "The Needle and the Spoon"
Marcy Playground - "Opium" (Opium or Heroin, whatever)
The Mars Volta - "The Widow"
Megadeath - "Use the Man"
Metallica - "Master of Puppets"
Joni Mitchell - "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire"
Morning Glory - "Gimme Heroin"
Mike Ness - "Dope Fiend Blues"
Neutral Milk Hotel - *"Heroin Bag"
Nine Inch Nails - "Hurt"
Nirvana - "Aneurysm"
The Only Ones - "Another Girl, Another Planet" "The Beast"
Pink Floyd - *"Comfortably Numb"
Placebo - *"My Sweet Prince"
Iggy Pop - "Lust for Life" *"The Passenger"
John Prine - "Sam Stone"
Queens of the Stone Age - "Gonna Leave You"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - *"Otherside" *"Under the Bridge"
Lou Reed - *"Perfect Day"
The Reverend Horton Heat - *"Indigo Friends"
The Rolling Stones - "Dead Flowers"
Smashing Pumpkins - *"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" (Debatable, but to me it's about Heroin)
Elliott Smith - *"King's Crossing"
Spacemen 3 - "Things'll Never Be the Same"
Spiritualized - *"Cop Shoot Cop..." *"Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"
Steppenwolf - "The Pusher"
The Stooges - "Loose"
The Stranglers - *"Golden Brown"
Sublime - *"Poolshark"
Tiamat - "A Deeper Kind of Slumber"
The Velvet Underground - *"Heroin" "I'm Waiting for the Man"
Wolfsheim - *"Heroin, She Said"
Neil Young - *"The Needle and the Damage Done"

* = The Best of the Best

So, check out these songs, because they are amazing. (I don't know who I am addressing, since no one reads this blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment